Integrating in Swedish
Finland has two official languages, Finnish and Swedish. The cities in the Capital Region; Helsinki, Espoo, Vantaa and Kauniainen, are all bilingual with 65 000 registered Swedish speakers. In total 5% of the Finnish population are registered as Swedish speakers.
- You have the right to attend either Finnish or Swedish integration courses
- You can apply for citizenship either in Finnish or in Swedish
- You have the right to use Swedish with the authorities
- You can choose Swedish education, from early childhood to higher education
- You can take part in the rich Swedish culture in literature, theatre and music, among other fields
- The Swedish language opens up the Nordic countries for you
Integration can mean that you settle in Finland and acquire knowledge and skills that you need in the Finnish society. Some factors that promote integration include learning Finnish or Swedish, finding a job or student position and forming contacts within Finnish society.
Read more about Swedish integration at The Centre of Expertise in Immigrant Integration
Do you want to know more about the Finland-Swedish people, their culture and history? You can find general information at Svenskfinland.fi, as well as articles on education, media and culture. Go take a look!
050 581 9924
050 5900 573